Sunday, February 14, 2010

Who says education will get you where you want to be?

Having spent 4 years in University studying Psychology, and then another year doing a post graduate degree in Public Relations, I thought for sure that I would walk out of that institution into a great job that I would love. Sadly enough, it has been almost a year since I have graduated and the closest I have come to this is literally asking "would you like fries with that" as a server at Swiss Chalet. And yet, people I look up from my highschool, who hardly finished their diploma are clearly more successful than me! They have jobs, they may not love them, but they have a consistent income. What is the point in going through so much schooling to get to the job you "love" if there is nothing out there and instead you stand practicially unemployed after spending thousands and thousands of dollars getting yourself there!

I understand that the economic climate is bad right now, but it has gotten to the point of pathetic. Should we really continue to tell the smart kids in school to carry on, and get a great education so they can do what they want, when really they won't get to do anything at all?
I had the choice of doing a masters in Psychology, or take a different route in a more applied and creative field of PR. So that is what I did. I often look back on my decision and debate, could things have gone differently. Speaking to friends of mine, it seems not. Having finished their masters last summer as well they are working at Metro, Garage clothing, and struggling to get into their field.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I went through the path I did. I love the field I have chosen and the things I have learned, but I beleive the preperation for leaving these schools needs to be changed. Students minds shouldnt be filled with all the jobs they are going to be offered, it should be filled with the reality of the difficulty they are going to be facing and the challenges that exist in entering the real world.
Stop lying and tell them the true. Its a tough world out there, so get ready for rejection, failure, and consistent let downs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.